Grateful for response from National Grid

first_imgCategories: Letters to the Editor, Opinion We have been experiencing our lights dimming, on a frequent basis, and decided to call National Grid on Oct. 31.Within one hour, a serviceman from National Grid was at our door. He did a thorough exam of our electrical box inside and conducted a similar search on the outdoor connections.The very next day, Ron Cammie and Eric Sapone were at my house doing a field test and discovered that the line coming to the house had been invaded by the squirrels. Although it had been patched before, they requested a new line be installed. And it was, the very next day, just before the big storm the following day.On Nov. 1, both Ron and Eric were here to follow up and make sure everything was working to my satisfaction. I just couldn’t get over the quick service of all three service departments of National Grid. My hat’s off to those in charge and especially to those who rendered the service with speed and were able to accurately fix the problem.Peter V. Russo Sr.GlenvilleMore from The Daily Gazette:Foss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?EDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristsEDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationEDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censuslast_img read more

Rooftop lawn and internal gardens give Sky Homes the natural edge

first_imgSOKO’s Sky Homes feature internal gardens.SOKO Waterfront Apartments offers 120 residences, from $430,000, across seven levels with one, two, three and four bedroom apartments available.The development includes a virtual concierge, large rooftop retreat, sauna, infinity pool, cinema and even storage for your canoe.Besides the Sky Homes, the development also includes some apartment amalgamations to give more luxurious space.“We’ve amalgamated two units side-by-side and two units top and bottom to give bigger home-sized spaces,” Mr Malouf said.“It’s so important that we continue to listen to the market and evolve as developers.”SOKO Waterfront Apartments are 70 per cent sold and under construction, with internal trades making their way through the building now, with completion expected in June.“We chose West End because its an eclectic mixture of demographics, a historically industrial area that’s now experiencing a rejuvenation with more retail, commercial and office activity,” Mr Malouf said.“It’s always evolving and really close to the city and with lots of amenities and facilities close by.“Plus a lot of families want to move here to get into the Brisbane State High catchment area.” Two Sky Homes are the crowning glory of SOKO Waterfront Apartments at West EndTWO sky homes with stunning views, internal gardens and their own real patch of lawn are the crowning glory of SOKO Waterfront Apartments in West End.Spyre Group director Andrew Malouf said the two penthouses, which they are calling Sky Homes, were a direct result of listening to the local market.“The demand for owner-occupier stock in SOKO has far exceeded what we originally thought which is what pushed us towards doing these sky homes in the first place,” Mr Malouf said.“It is evident by the number of unit sales still ticking over throughout West End, that people love living here, however they don’t want to sacrifice on space.“We decided to label the penthouses as Sky Homes because each unit is located on level eight and consists of 250sq m internally with 61sq m of real outdoor lawn and overlooking the Brisbane river and with city views. SOKO Waterfront Apartments at West End“A lot of people are happy to downsize or right size but we’ve found a lot of developments had the internal layout spot on but didn’t give back in terms of outdoor space.“People want the ability to downsize, to lockup and leave their apartment, but they also want the outdoor experience that you find in a house.”The two approximately $3 million sky homes feature VIP lift access, with lifts idling on their floor level, premium fixtures and fittings including Gaggenau Appliances, three car parks each and stunning internal gardens.“We’ve had extremely positive feedback on the Sky Homes from people that want their grandkids to come over and stay, have pets or just want to maintain a real lawn and have that sense of grandeur,” Mr Malouf said.More from newsMould, age, not enough to stop 17 bidders fighting for this home2 hours agoBuyers ‘crazy’ not to take govt freebies, says 28-yr-old investor8 hours ago“As part of the design there are also floor to ceiling internal gardens that run through the penthouses creating a subtropical feature.“They are glass boxes that are lined with plants and vegetation and each bedroom comes off those so they achieve their own natural light and ventilation.”last_img read more

Renovations tick the box for time-poor buyers

first_imgThe home at 97 Greenways Esp, Parkinson.A RENOVATED Parkinson home has sold after being passed in at auction, as buyers opt for move-in ready homes.Marketing agent Kosma Comino, of LJ Hooker Sunnybank Hills, said 97 Greenways Esplanade sold three weeks after auction.“There was a lot of interest in the property but no one wanted to bid at auction,” he said.“The market is still really strong but it is favouring the seller. Buyers are more cautious about bidding at auction. Post-auction we received two offers on the home.”More from newsCrowd expected as mega estate goes under the hammer7 Aug 2020Hard work, resourcefulness and $17k bring old Ipswich home back to life20 Apr 2020Mr Comino said about 50 groups inspected the four-bedroom property with most being owner-occupiers. Inside the home at 97 Greenways Esp, Parkinson.“Buyers liked that it was fully renovated,” he said.“I’ve found with anywhere on the south side at the moment, if a property is renovated it gets so much more inquiry.“Everyone is so busy these days, they don’t have time to renovate. They just want to be able to move straight into a home.”Mr Comino said the Parkinson market had slowed recently.“We’re still seeing the high number of buyers we had at the start of the year but now there is more stock,” he said.last_img read more

UK funds should be allowed to enforce CPI indexation to cut deficits

first_imgSponsors with large UK pension deficits should be allowed to override any indexation provision and only offer increases in line with the consumer prices index (CPI), LCP has urged.Proposing the government end the “legal lottery”, the consultancy estimated FTSE 100 firms would see a £30bn (€35bn) reduction in their liabilities if they were able to switch to CPI, rather than the retail prices index (RPI) for all future indexation.The recommendation came as LCP estimated the largest listed firms had pension deficits of £63bn by early August, following the Bank of England’s re-launch of quantitative easing, a significant increase from the £46bn estimated shortfall in June when assets stood at £582bn.However, while advocating the change, LCP partner Bob Scott said the switch to the traditionally lower level of indexation should only occur subject to certain safeguards. “The safeguards are important as they should not automatically allow a profitable company with a large pension surplus to increase that surplus by reducing benefits,” he said.“They could, however, provide relief to a company with a large deficit where the trustees agreed it was in the members’ interests for benefits to be reduced.”LCP’s call came the same day as latest CPI data was released, which showed inflation running at 0.6% in July, up by 0.5 percentage points compared to June. This compared to a 0.3 percentage point increase in RPI to 1.9%.Charles Cowling, director of JLT Employee Benefits, said the inflation data amounted to a “Brexit double-whammy”, as it added to the pressure facing funds due to increasing deficits due to uncertainty following the vote in June.The suggestion funds be allowed to amend the level of indexation comes months after such a move was proposed to reduce the deficit within the British Steel Pension Scheme (BSPS), which faces entry into the Pension Protection Fund as its sponsor, Tata Steel, seeks to sell its UK assets.At the time the consultation was announced, the Pensions and Lifetime Savings Association (PLSA) warned against “bespoke” regulatory changes, and said it would be “inconceivable” for the government to not offer such a solution to the entire DB sector.The previous government considered a statutory override of trust deeds in 2010, but then-pensions minister Steve Webb ruled out such as step as it could see member trust in schemes “severely damaged”.,WebsitesWe are not responsible for the content of external sitesLink to LCP 2016 Accounting for Pensions reportlast_img read more

Leonard Rohls

first_imgLeonard H.F. Rohls, 93, of Napoleon passed away at 9:45pm, Thursday, October 19, 2017 at his home. He was born near Napoleon on the farm where he spent his entire life on April 17, 1924 the son of John and Laura Sembach Rohls. He was married to Esther Obendorf on November 3, 1946 and she preceded him in death on December 7, 1992. He was married to Irma Hurelbrink Obendorf on February 26, 1994 and she survives. Other survivors include two sons Gayle (Barbara) Rohls, and Glenn (Janet) Rohls both of Napoleon; one daughter Carol (Mark) Dilk of Floyds Knobs; one step-son Kenneth (Susie) Obendorf of Versailles; two step-daughters Ellen (Dr. Robert) Mulford and Phyllis (Edward) Armbrecht both of Versailles; 14 grandchildren and 21 great-grandchildren. He was also preceded in death by his parents. Mr. Rohls was a farmer his entire life. He had also worked as a substitute bus driver for the Napoleon School, drove a milk route, and was a salesman for Brock Grain Bins. He had also served as Ripley County Surveyor. Leonard was a member of the St. Paul Lutheran Church at Olean and was a former member of the Ripley County Farm Bureau. Funeral services will be held on Monday, October 23rd at 10am at the St. Paul Lutheran Church in Olean with Pastor Curtis Black officiating. Burial will be in the St. John Lutheran Cemetery in Napoleon. Visitation will be on Sunday from 2pm to 6pm at the Stratton-Karsteter Funeral Home in Versailles. Memorials may be given to the donor’s choice in care of the funeral home.last_img read more

CAF’s Women’s Champions League, a Dream Comes True, Says Falode

first_imgAisha Falode Head of the Nigeria Women Football League, Aisha Falode, has declared that the decision of the Confederation of African Football (CAF) to work towards the actualization of the Women’s CAF Champions League in the 2021 football season would be a dream come true for her.CAF is to take a final decision on the women’s league at their next meeting in Cairo.Falode noted that when she first mooted the idea of the league to Nigeria female club owners at the closing ceremony of the NWPL Super 4 two years ago at the Agege Stadium, Lagos, she never knew the leadership of CAF would actualise her dream in a short time. Falode, who is also a board member of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), stressed that the success recorded by Nigeria’s Super Falcons that played with seven players from the domestic NWPL at the France 2019 Women’s World Cup, must have played a prominent role in the decision taken by CAF to uplift women’s club football in the continent.“People have advocated for it and desired it on the continent for the young women who continue to play good football all around Africa. When people say that we do not have the required number of teams to play the Women’s CAF Champions League, I wonder where they got that notion from.“As we speak, we have over 33 countries scattered across the continent where organized women’s football league is played. Even if we don’t have that required number, considering 33 out of 54/55 countries is great . That’s way above average for a good number to start the CAF Women’s Champions League as the time is ripe and right for Africa to have a women’s Champions League,” reasoned Falode.The accomplished sports journalist admonished CAF to come up with strategies that would support and fund teams that would participate in the competition.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Syracuse offense explodes for 13 runs to blow out Niagara

first_imgSyracuse has struggled to get hits in crucial situations all season long.But on Wednesday afternoon, the Orange recorded timely hits to score runs when it mattered.“That’s what those hitters need, they need that confidence,” SU head coach Leigh Ross said. “… I think we had kind of gotten into this mode where our offense was just slow. We’re starting to pick that up now.”Syracuse (17-22, 1-10 Atlantic Coast) defeated Niagara (1-27, 1-7 Metro Atlantic) by a score of 13-0 in the second game of a doubleheader at SU Softball Stadium following an 11-0 shutout in the first game. Following a weekend of three frustrating losses to Pittsburgh, the Orange rebounded by scoring enough runs in each game to end the contests early due to the mercy rule.The Orange batted around twice in the second game and only one player failed to get a hit in an offensive explosion for the most runs scored all season long. Rachel Burkhardt and Julie Wambold led the way for SU, recording four and three RBIs, respectively.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“They were aggressive hitting and swinging at first-pitch strikes and making something happen,” Ross said. “You got to keep attacking, that’s why it’s called offense. Those hits happen for you when you have confidence.”In the second game, Syracuse started off the bottom of the first inning strong and never looked back.Burkhardt stepped to the plate with the bases loaded and two outs. On a 2-2 pitch, the No. 8 hitter rocketed a bases-clearing double that rolled to the fence in right-centerfield to put the Orange up 5-0 early.Burkhardt said she didn’t feel “too hot” at the plate, but assistant coach Matt Nandin encouraged her to keep it simple and it paid off.“Rachel Burkhardt’s been making contact and hitting the ball hard,” Ross said. “That’s all we ask, hit the ball hard and good things happen.”Sammy Fernandez followed with a single and Maddi Doane hit a liner that hit the right fielder’s shoulder and rolled toward the right-center gap. Burkhardt and Fernandez both scored on the play, which should’ve ended the inning but instead extended Syracuse’s lead to 7-0.Niagara held Syracuse scoreless in the second and third innings, but the Orange offense resurfaced for another six runs in the bottom of the fourth. With the bases loaded and two outs, Wambold dug herself into the box and on the first pitch she saw, hit SU’s second three-run double of the game. The ball landed inches fair down the left-field line and rolled deep into foul territory to bring the score to 13-0.In her third career start, AnnaMarie Gatti pitched with a lead for the first time all season. As she comes back from an injury, having runs on the scoreboard helped her calm down and work with confidence.“It’s really nice, especially knowing (the game) can be over very fast,” Gatti said. “Knowing I don’t have to be out there and putting tons of pressure on my foot, but I can also practice my stuff in the game is really nice.”The team left only five runners on base in a game it hopes help build confidence moving into the final eight games of the season.“Today was a really good day because we didn’t press too much and we kept it simple,” Burkhardt said. “We knew what we were capable of and we just went up there saying, ‘No, we’re better than this. Let’s go do it.’” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on April 15, 2015 at 9:12 pm Contact Liam: lpsull01@syr.edulast_img read more

16th Governor’s Cup Tennis Gets Underway In Lagos

first_imgHostilities begin at the 16th Governor’s Cup Lagos Tennis Championship with the players battle in the first round of the Main Draws of Futures 5 of the tournament in both the singles and doubles events of men and women’s categories.Players whose points could not make it to the Main Draws played their qualifying matches on Saturday and yesterday at the Lagos Lawn Tennis Club, Onikan at the end of which winners now join other players in the round of 32 in the Main Draws which begin this morning.Some Nigerians qualified and they will be joining eight others who were given Wildcards by the International Tennis Federation (ITF), to play in the Main Draws. These set of players who made their through the qualifiers include Henry Atseye, Nonso Madueke, Aanu Ayegbusi, Osariemen Airhunmwunde, Edward Christopher Anefu and Ikechukwu Iloputa.The players, who came from 39 countries of the world, will be fighting for ranking points and 50, 000 dollars prize money in the men and women’s events. The finals of the first leg will hold on Saturday, 15 October.Enrique Lopez – Perez from Spain is the top seed in the men’s category, while Valetini Grammatikopoulou from Greece is the number one seed in the women’s event.Men’s event has the likes of Nigeria’s Christian Paul, Umaru Balami, Moses Michael, Sylvester Emmanuel who all make the Main Draws.Others are Boy Westerhof from The Netherlands, France’s Calvin Hemerdon and Karim-Mohamed Maamoun from Egypt.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Arsenal closing in on Willian deal

first_img Source: Sky Sports Arsenal are close to completing the signing of midfielder Willian from Chelsea on a three-year deal.Arsenal moved into pole position to sign the Brazil international, whose Chelsea deal expires later this month, by offering a three-year contract earlier this week, and are on the verge of beating off competition from Barcelona and Inter Miami.Along with the length of the deal, joining Mikel Arteta’s rejuvenated side and the chance to work with fellow Brazilian Edu are the reasons Arsenal are favourites to secure Willian’s signature.Despite wanting Willian, who turns 32 on Sunday, to extend his stay at Stamford Bridge, Chelsea have refused to offer more than a further two years – and the chances of him being a Chelsea player when the new season begins in five weeks look remote.Willian made 47 appearances for Chelsea in all competitions and finished the season in fine form, with four Premier League goals after the restart taking his tally for the season to nine.last_img read more

Minister wants Essien back in Black Stars

first_imgYouth and Sports Minister Elvis Afriyie Ankrah has appealed to Ghanaian international Michael Essien to reconsider his decision to stay away from the senior national team and make a return to the it.Mr Ankrah said the nation needed Essien more than ever as the Black Stars continued their search for a place in the FIFA 2014 World Cup in Brazil.He made the appeal when the Co-ordinator of the Michael Essien Foundation, Akosua Puni, presented a plaque of hope and inspiration to him in his office in Accra, Monday.According to the Minister, the plaque which represented the future aspirations of many a youth, should be a clarion call to them to wake up to the challenge of leading the continent through sports.Ms Puni took the opportunity to invite the minister to the Michael Essien Charity Match slated for the Accra Sports Stadium on Saturday.She expressed gratitude to the minister for supporting the efforts at organising the charity match, saying that renowned football stars would besiege the country on a tour. She appealed to the minister to endeavour to make the yearly match a biannual affair, while urging him to make the event a national agenda.last_img read more