At home with natureThis expansive Camp Mountain home meant one thing to Peta Picone – escape.The Brisbane native had grown up and lived in and around the inner city her entire life.Despite the advantages of inner-city living, she and her husband wanted a change of pace.When they came across the expansive home at 35 Nullamanna Rd, Camp Mountain, eight years ago they knew they had found what they were after. The sprawling 1.7ha property is at the base of the mountain, with greenery and the fresh country air filling the surroundings.“We moved out there when our children were still quite young,” Mrs Picone said.“We wanted their childhood to have all the freedoms you don’t get in suburbia. It is like a huge playground for them.”The large family home looks like a well-preserved specimen from Queensland’s yesteryear, but it was actually built 15 years ago. More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus20 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market20 hours ago“It is certainly a lot like those older-style Queenslander homes,” she said. “It has quite a contemporary feel.”A number of changes had been made to the property since they moved in, including an inground pool and a pool house.“We live out there in the summer,” she said. The home has timber floors and high ceilings throughout and large french doors that open so the home captures the breeze.There is also a guesthouse to the side of the home that has a separate bedroom, kitchen, bathroom and veranda.The suburb has many neighbouring acreage properties, as well as bike and horse riding tracks. “There is always something to do,” she said.The home is on the market now through One Agency Ward Real Estate.
Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini described his decision to stick with Joe Hart in goal for their 3-1 victory over Everton as “very difficult”. There were doubts over the 26-year-old’s position after he was culpable for two of Bayern Munich’s goals in City’s Champions League defeat on Wednesday. It is not the first time recently that Hart has made high-profile mistakes, and Pellegrini pointedly failed to confirm whether he would pick Hart for the clash with the Toffees in the build-up to the game. Press Association It was one of a number of decisions made by referee Jon Moss that Everton boss Roberto Martinez was not happy with. Everton appealed for a penalty in the first half when Lukaku felt he was pushed over by Matija Nastasic. James Milner, meanwhile, was perhaps a little fortunate to get away with a yellow card for a strong challenge on James McCarthy just before the break, although Martinez declined to say whether he thought it should have been red. The Spaniard said: “My overall disappointment is that the game wasn’t controlled at all by the referee. “There was an incident before we conceded the second goal where Seamus Coleman got involved with Alvaro Negredo, there was an argument. “There were three players out of the action and you need to see that as a referee and do something about it. “Then the penalty – if that’s a penalty, it’s going to be an impossible game. There’s contact but there’s no impeding. That should never be a penalty, and he didn’t have the consistency to give a penalty for Lukaku and Nastastic.” Pellegrini felt discussion of the referee’s performance was incidental to the result, saying: “I never talk about referees but I am sure the difference between Manchester City and Everton was not the referee. “They had just one chance to score. We scored three goals and we had four or five other chances.” The defeat was Martinez’s first in charge of Everton in the Premier League, and he rued City’s swift response after Lukaku had given the visitors the lead. “I thought we started really bright and we wanted to score the first goal,” said Martinez. “I thought it was important. We couldn’t keep the lead long enough. I thought those five or 10 minutes after scoring would have been very important to affect the rest of the performance. “Conceding was a little bit of a blow but still I saw it as a very open game, a fascinating game of football. From that point on I do feel the referee didn’t allow the two teams to compete eye to eye. “If you concede three goals it makes it very difficult to get a result at a place like this.” Roy Hodgson has assured Hart he will start in the forthcoming World Cup qualifiers, and the England boss watched on from the stands at the Etihad Stadium as questions were again asked of Hart. The City stopper got his hand to Romelu Lukaku’s shot in the 16th minute but could not keep it out. Pellegrini did not blame Hart, saying: “Always the responsibility for the goal is with the whole team.” But asked about his decision to choose Hart ahead of Costel Pantilimon, Pellegrini said: “It wasn’t a simple decision, it was a very difficult decision, but I think Joe needs the trust of all of us – of me, the other players and the fans. “Of course he feels he didn’t do well the last game, he feels that he was guilty, but it was more important that he reflected how strong his character is.” This time the goal did not prove costly as Alvaro Negredo equalised almost immediately and Sergio Aguero put City ahead just before half-time. The third arrived in the 69th minute, Tim Howard saving Aguero’s penalty only for the ball to rebound off a post and back in off the Everton keeper. The award of the spot-kick was a contentious moment, with Pablo Zabaleta going down under a challenge from Seamus Coleman.
Update on the latest sports ACC-SWOFFORD RETIRINGACC Commissioner Swofford to retire in JuneUNDATED (AP) — Atlantic Coast Conference Commissioner John Swofford is retiring after the 2020-21 academic year, ending his tenure after 24 years.The 71-year-old Swofford has been commissioner of the ACC since 1997, the longest run in that position in the history of the 67-year-old conference. The former North Carolina athletic director took over as commissioner of a nine-team league. In the years that followed, Swofford directed the league through multiple waves of expansion that first turned the ACC into a 12-team league by 2005 and ultimately reach 15 teams by 2013. The conference also launched its own network last August. The Aug. 6 exhibition game between the Dallas Cowboys and Pittsburgh Steelers is the first on-field event the league has canceled during the pandemic. The league was able to conduct free agency, the draft and several owners meetings remotely, and it recently began reopening team facilities that were shut in late March, albeit on a limited basis.Ten men were scheduled to be enshrined in the Canton, Ohio, hall on Aug. 8; the hall has an increased class of 20 this year in commemoration of the NFL’s centennial. No date has been set for when any inductions will occur.In other developments related to the coronavirus pandemic:— A person with knowledge of the situation says Miami forward Derrick Jones Jr. has tested positive for the coronavirus, a result that came in shortly after the Heat and other NBA teams began mandatory testing in preparation for next month’s resumption of the season. Jones, the reigning NBA slam dunk contest champion, still plans to play when the Heat get back on the floor at the Disney complex near Orlando next month, said the person who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Thursday because neither the Heat nor the player revealed the result publicly.— Churchill Downs says the rescheduled Kentucky Derby and Oaks will run this fall with spectators under strict guidelines to limit crowd density for the race that annually attracts more than 100,000. The 146th runnings of the Oaks for fillies and the Derby were postponed from May 1-2 to Sept. 4-5 because of the coronavirus pandemic. It marked the first time since 1945 that horse racing’s marquee event was not run on the first Saturday in May. Churchill Downs has run its delayed spring meet without spectators. After consulting with Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear and local health officials, Churchill Downs will reduce capacity in general admission, outdoor reserved seating, premium dining and suites. Fans will be “consistently and frequently” encouraged to wear masks at all times unless seated, to practice social distancing when possible and to wash or sanitize hands frequently. — The USGA has announced its exemption categories for a U.S. Open that won’t have open qualifying for the first time in nearly a century. That includes taking the top 70 in the world ranking from March 15, the last one before the ranking was frozen because of the COVID-19 pandemic. The U.S. Open usually takes the top 60. The exemption categories announced Thursday include a spot for Phil Mickelson, who was at No. 61 in March. The U.S. Open is the only major Mickelson hasn’t won. The U.S. Open is scheduled for Sept. 17-20 at Winged Foot, just north of New York City, the scene of Mickelson’s toughest loss in 2006.— The Phillie Phanatic, Mr. Met and Mariner Moose mascots are getting a reprieve. Major League Baseball has reversed a policy it issued last month that banned mascots from ballparks while trying to restrict access and limit contact exposure. MLB now says mascots are welcome, but they’re not permitted on the field. Dave Raymond, the first person to portray the Phanatic in Philadelphia in the late 1970s, says mascots can still pull off plenty of routines to entertain fans watching at home. MLB will start the virus-delayed season next month in stadiums without fans. — Third-ranked tennis player Dominic Thiem (teem) has apologized for taking part in an exhibition series hosted by Novak Djokovic (NOH’-vak JOH’-kuh-vich) where four players have tested positive for the coronavirus. Thiem says “our behaviour was a mistake” and adds he is “extremely sorry.” Thiem is an Austrian who lost to the top-ranked Djokovic in this year’s Australian Open final. He won the opening Adria Tour event in Belgrade on June 14. Djokovic tested positive for the virus on Tuesday. Grigor Dimitrov, Borna Coric and Viktor Troicki have also said they tested positive after taking part in the exhibition series in Serbia and Croatia.— Local Japanese sponsors have chipped in a record $3.3 billion to support the postponed Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics. That’s almost 60% of the income for the privately funded operating budget. Sponsors will be asked to sign up again with the games delayed for a year. A poll published earlier this month by Japanese broadcasters NHK said two-thirds are undecided about extending for another year. Organizers say they will begin the negotiation process in earnest next month. NBA-HAWKS-CARTER RETIRES Vince Carter, 43, retires after record 22 NBA seasonsUNDATED (AP) — Vince Carter made his retirement official by announcing on his podcast Thursday that his 22-year NBA career has come to an end. The announcement was largely a formality because the 43-year-old Carter had said many times over the course of the season that this would be his last in the NBA. His 22 seasons are the most in league history. He became the first NBA player to appear in four different decades. Carter started his career with Toronto, then played for New Jersey, Orlando, Phoenix, Dallas, Memphis, Sacramento and spent his final two seasons with Atlanta.Carter appeared in 1,541 NBA games, behind only Robert Parish (1,611) and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (1,560) on the league’s all-time list. He started his career with Toronto, then played for New Jersey, Orlando, Phoenix, Dallas, Memphis, Sacramento and spent his final two seasons with Atlanta.Carter’s first season was the 1998-99 campaign, which was shortened to 50 games because of labor strife. His final season was shortened by the coronavirus pandemic, and the Hawks will not be part of the 22 teams headed to the Disney complex near Orlando, Florida, next month for the planned resumption of NBA play. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditVIRUS OUTBREAK-SPORTSAP sources: NFL cancels Hall of Fame game, delays inductionsUNDATED (AP) — The NFL has canceled the Hall of Fame game that traditionally opens the preseason and is delaying the 2020 induction ceremonies due to the coronvirus pandemic, according to two people with direct knowledge of the decision. The people told The Associated Press that an announcement is expected later Thursday. Associated Press NFL-TITANS-MOVESTitans lure Birch from NFL office, add 2 other executivesNASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — The Tennessee Titans have lured Adolpho Birch away from the NFL office to join their front office and hired two other new executives. The Titans announced Thursday that Birch is their new senior vice president for business affairs and chief legal officer.Birch spent the past 24 years with the NFL with his last role senior vice president for labor policy and league affairs. He had been involved with labor negotiations, managing the NFL’s drug testing program, government relations, sports betting and the league’s critical response team. His late father was the first Black on the Tennessee Supreme Court, and Birch earned his law degree at Vanderbilt.The Titans also hired Surf Melendez for a new position as creative director, and Dan Werly is their new general counsel. Melendez has worked for the Miami Dolphins and Adidas. Werly had been general counsel for Nashville Soccer Club the past year. June 25, 2020
Published on February 17, 2011 at 12:00 pm Point guardScoop Jardine vs. Mike CoburnIt’s amazing what a little familiarity can do for a point guard. Even if Coburn is nowhere near as skilled in the passing game as Jardine, the senior from Mount Vernon, N.Y., has a weapon at his disposal that is equal to what Jardine has: a running mate he has known forever. Jardine’s childhood counterpart is SU stalwart Rick Jackson. For Coburn, the Scarlet Knights’ best player in Jonathan Mitchell grew up on the Lower Westchester playgrounds with the 6-foot point guard. Coburn rarely goes for points and will struggle more against SU’s zone. It’s what he is groomed for. It’s hard not to see Jardine having the advantage in this matchup.Advantage: SyracuseShooting guardAdvertisementThis is placeholder textBrandon Triche vs. James BeattyRick Jackson was SU’s MVP through the first 25 games. Triche has taken that title in the last two. With Jackson struggling, Triche says he finally recognized he needed to assert himself in the SU offense, and against Louisville and West Virginia he went for 41 total points. SU head coach Jim Boeheim says Triche needs to be a scorer. Against the very average Beatty (averaging 8.7 points per game), Triche will have a chance to eclipse his season average of 11.2 points per game.Advantage: SyracuseSmall forwardKris Joseph vs. Dane MillerJoseph is coming off a pretty complete performance against West Virginia, but to Jim Boeheim, Joseph’s game is still not where it should be. Miller will be a challenge in some aspects of the game. For example, he’s fifth in the Big East in blocks per game. But he has also proven the ability to not be much of an offensive threat at times, evidenced by his zero-point, one-rebound performance against Seton Hall last Saturday. He doesn’t compare with a player the caliber of Joseph.Advantage: SyracusePower forwardRick Jackson vs. Jonathan MitchellThis is where Jackson will look to exploit Rutgers’ lack of overall size, because on offense he’ll have the ability to match up against the undersized Mitchell. Rutgers will undoubtedly double- and even triple-team Jackson, so SU’s other shooters have to step up. Mitchell’s claim to fame recently has been a four-point play that won his team a game over Villanova, but he’s been lighting up the scoreboard lately with at least 20 points in five of six games.Advantage: EvenCenterBaye Moussa Keita vs. Gilvydas BirutaIt’s a matchup of two freshmen here, and it includes the freshman who should be starting at center for SU. Moussa Keita is a starter by name only. Most of the time, C.J. Fair’s subbed in for Moussa Keita in the past two games. On the other side, Biruta has impressed in his freshman season. He’s among the top three freshmen in the Big East in field-goal percentage (first), free-throw percentage (first) and rebounding (third).Advantage: RutgersBenchRutgers’ bench has some spark, including wing Mike Poole and forward Austin Johnson, who leads the team in field-goal percentage. But the biggest factor off the bench will be from SU. That would be C.J. Fair, who has played an average of 35 minutes in the past two games. He’s averaging more than 10 points per game in his last three. Will Fab Melo get some minutes here?Advantage: Syracuse Comments Facebook Twitter Google+