To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
Chelsea and England captain John Terry has vowed to prove his innocence after the Football Association launched an investigation into allegations he racially abused QPR defender Anton Ferdinand.Videos circulated on the internet in the aftermath of Sunday’s west London derby, with some viewers claiming the footage shows Terry insulting Ferdinand using racist language.Terry strongly denies the allegations and said: “I welcome the FA enquiry and look forward to clearing my name.”AdChoices广告The Metropolitan Police has announced it is assessing evidence from the alleged incident after receiving a complaint.Earlier, Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas insisted Terry had his club’s full support and that the issue had arisen as the result of a misunderstanding.Villas-Boas said: “We fully back John. He spoke to Anton after the game. For us it was the end of the story.Villas-Boas says Chelsea are fully behind their captain“John is a player of great responsibilities. I find it strange when people don’t trust the words of a representative from your country. For us the matter is over.”Chelsea have been charged by the FA with failing to ensure their players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion during the match.Blues duo Jose Bosingwa and Didier Drogba were sent off and seven other Chelsea players were booked in an ill-tempered game, which QPR won 1-0 – their first home victory since returning to the Premier League after a 15-year absence.The FA have also asked Villas-Boas to explain his post-match comments about the officials.The Portuguese revealed he had been “aggressive” towards referee Chris Foy and was angry that Chelsea had two appeals for a second-half penalty ignored.
Published on February 6, 2016 at 10:51 pm Contact Charlie: email@example.com | @charliedisturco Related Stories Anna Shkudun adjusts to college game and leadership position as 1st-year grad studentValeria Salazar guides Syracuse to 6-1 win against Cornell in return from respite Syracuse (4-0) found success in its first road game of the year as the Orange defeated No. 72 Tulane (1-4) by a score of 5-2 on Saturday.Though falling behind early after losing in its doubles matches, SU was able to string together a five-point comeback in singles.The whole team started off slow. In the first doubles match, graduate Anna Shkudun and junior Valeria Salazar fell 6-4. Soon after, Maria Tritou and Nicole Mitchell lost 6-2, securing Tulane’s first point of the match.However, the match turned around for the Orange after that.Shkudun took home her singles match 7-5, 6-2. Her doubles partner soon followed, as Salazar locked up a win by the score of 6-1, 6-1.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textFreshmen Gabriela Knutson and Dina Hegab cruised to yet another win. Knutson won her singles match 6-1, 6-1.Hegab on the other hand, struggled early. After falling in her first set 4-6, she bounced back with 6-2, 7-5 wins. Both Hegab and Knutson are undefeated in singles play thus far.Tritou took home the fifth point for Syracuse, defeating her opponent 6-3, 7-5. The only singles loss came in a hard-fought battle between Libi Mesh and Tulane’s Jacqui Katz. Mesh fell behind 5-7, before taking home the second set 6-4. The third set resulted in a super tiebreak, as Katz came out on top 1-0 (10-8).Syracuse’s next match will be on the road once again, as SU will play Yale (0-3) on Friday at noon. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+