Two Local football experts shared mixed views on the Reggae Boyz’s chances against Nicaragua in the second leg of their CONCACAF World Cup qualifier in Manugua, this evening at 8:30.pm.Football analyst and administrator, Clyde Jureidini, believes the Boyz are that much better than their opponent and will get the required two or more goals to see themselves through to the next round.However, former national assistant coach, Bradley Stewart, thought the Boyz got it so wrong first time around that he doubts if they can get it right this time, especially with so many first-choice players out.”I expect they would correct the errors.. and that they come in a more serious frame of mind and start with a lot more urgency at the beginning of the game and put pressure on the opponent, even though they are at home and, hopefully, that pressure should count for the amount of goals we need,” said Jureidini.improvement mandatoryHowever, he warned that there cannot be a repeat of the indiscipline that cost the team in the first leg on Friday.”The disparity (between the teams) was largely in the execution … our discipline and application to the task we should correct. Having lost the first game, we should come out and play much better and with a lot more purpose to get the result,” he added.Stewart, on the other, has his doubts, based on the application in the first game and the fact that more first-choice players might miss this match.”What you call this? Mission Impossible? the veteran coach mused. “For the first game, we weren’t ready psychologically, and we underestimated this team. There were many things that were depressing … and when you make those mistakes at this level, I don’t think you are going to recover,” he assessed more seriously.”Given what has happened to Wes Morgan, (Jobi) McAnuff and (Gareth) McCleary (absent due to club commitments), Gil Barnes can’t play on (astro) turf, and Austin might not play, and if Austin don’t play, our defensive capabilities will be hampered,” he continued.However, he thinks Jamaica are much better and good enough to get the result and advance.”It doesn’t help them (Nicaragua) to play too defensive, as we will create chances, so they have to play cautious. This team is rated 139th, and we are rated 52, so there must be a difference.”But if we get the approach so wrong in the first match, then I am wondering if we can get it right this time around,” he questioned.
“I am a strict leader, yes, but at the same I also work to keep the team in an uplifting mood always,” she added.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Phivolcs: Slim probability of Taal Volcano caldera eruption Fierce rivals take the court as Eagles battle Archers Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Allen Durham still determined to help Meralco win 1st PBA title Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown Gov’t to employ 6,000 displaced by Taal LATEST STORIES BanKo Perlas, which is also on a winning run, hopes momentum will help push it past Adamson, which has yet to register a triumph after two starts.Angels team captain Stephanie Mercado credited hard work for her team’s new-found intensity.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back Chriss“We worked very hard to get used to the system of our coach (Jerry Yee) and so far we are doing very well,” said Mercado.But Mercado, daughter of Filipino track legend Lydia de Vega, said they also try to have fun inside the court. Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew View comments Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil MOST READ PetroGazz looks to extend its winning streak even as Ateneo and BanKo Perlas stake their unbeaten slates Saturday in the Premier Volleyball League Open Conference at Filoil Flying V Centre.Riding the crest of back-to-back wins, PetroGazz will take on an Ateneo side hoping to score its second victory at 4 p.m.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.
The Guyanese Girl Code programme, which was introduced by the Public Telecommunications Ministry in collaboration with the National Centre for Educational Resource Development (NCERD) last month, has received an overwhelming response from the target audience, which is girls between the ages of 11 and 15.Outreach Coordinator Donnella CollisonThe programme, which is meant to encourage and nurture the technological strengths of adolescent girls who already show a propensity for the field, is expected to expand to accommodate more participants interested in coding.According to Outreach Coordinator Donnella Collison of the Public Telecommunications Ministry, the programme, which initially catered for 20 girls, has received applications from more than 50 young ladies who are excited to be part of the initiative.“Since we received so many applications, we are now looking at a way to do more sessions to expand and take in more girls who want to code.”Guyanese Girl Code is a free 12-week pilot project that will teach girls in First to Third Form (aged 11 to 15) beginners’ coding/programming. The one requirement for entry into this starter programme is that all applicants must be proficient computer users, familiar with basic software and programmes.Generally, coders/programmers are the innovators in the Information and Communications Technology (ICT) industry, the technicians who create new software, applications, and websites, etc. Their work parameters are limitless. Communication technologies are employed in every industry on this planet, from fashion to heart surgery, agriculture and oceanology.
Prolonged power outagesIrate residents of the Essequibo Coast, Region Two (Pomeroon-Supenaam) on Wednesday walked out of a meeting with officials from the Guyana Power and Light (GPL) which was held at the Regional board room, Anna Regina.Reports are residents accused the personnel from the company of stonewalling them but not facilitating proper answers to their questions.The Essequibo Coast has been plagued with prolonged power outages for almost one month now.The power company on August 18, 2018, had admitted that the region has been experiencing frequent service interruptions as a result of two of its units – the Number 3 and Number 8 with an aggregate capacity of 2.8 MWs –becomingResidents and regional officials walking out of the meetinginoperable, due to major mechanical and electrical issues respectively.Over two weeks now, GPL along with Public Infrastructure Minister David Patterson, had assured residents that the situation will be rectified soon. However, after this was not forthcoming weeks after assurances, residents were forced to protest in front of the GPL’s Anna Regina sub-station as they express their frustration over the situation.Representatives from the regional administration joined in protest action on Friday to demand answers from GPL. According to residents, GPL has left them in the dark and has been reluctant to give answers about the power woes in the region.The protest led to a team of GPL officials from the city visiting the region on Wednesday for the meeting. At that meeting, GPL’s Public Relations Officer Shevion Searswas was present but was unable to answer the questions which several residents, regional officials and members of the business community posted.The meeting was attended by the acting Chairman of Region Two, Nandranie Coonjah; Councillors of the Regional Democratic Council, as well as the Neighbourhood Democratic Councils; members of the Essequibo Chamber of Commerce and Industry (ECCI); and residents.However, after not getting sufficient answers, the group walked out of the meeting.Residents holding up placards during the meeting“This meeting was a waste of time,” one regional official remarked after leaving.According to officials, the PRO could not give answers and as such they are demanding to meet with senior management of GPL. “The senior management needs to be here. Where is Prime Minister Moses Nagamootoo? He needs to be here,” a resident demanded.Another protest is planned for Friday if no senior Government or senior GPL official mets with regional officials and residents.Last week, the Essequibo Chamber of Commerce called on the Government to immediately intervene and bring some relief to the residents of the region.According to Chamber President, Suean Seewnarayan, the region is suffering tremendously due to the failing power company.She added that the region’s commerce is collapsing due to the poor service offered by GPL.On Tuesday, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of GPL, Albert Gordon told this publication that every effort is being made by his technical team to address the situation, which he described as unfortunate.However, the GPL head said a permanent solution to the issue may take until December, as the company is now in the process of acquiring new units to replace those that are currently not in operation due to several reasons.“We (are) actually in the process of getting new plants to replace these, which are medium-scale diesel that are more suited for (this) operation. But that is not expected until mid-December,” Gordon told this newspaper, while explaining that the GPL has been working around the clock to address the situation.The GPL CEO said the team is also working to repair the other units, and hopefully by today there could be some significant improvements.
…says 30,000 jobs lost, local and foreign investments dried-upOn May 11, the A Partnership for National Unity/Alliance For Change (APNU/AFC) coalition has celebrated four years in governance, and while it boasted of major significant feats, it has been a period of failure and deterioration for Guyanese.This was according to Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo who on Thursday stated that recent declarations made by the coalition administration of its successes during its tenure in office is far from the truth.Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo“(These) are multiple lies to Guyanese about its long list or achievements. When the average Guyanese tries matching those with the reality of life on the ground, they find a huge gap.”Jagdeo stated that while some may argue, including Government officials, that this Administration has only had four years so far to run Guyana, the country’s progress in many sectors has been stalled or diminished.“But what’s the truth, what is the reality of life in Guyana today? We know for a fact that over 30,000 persons who were working at the time this Government took office have lost their jobs. That is 30,000 Guyanese who were working and feeding their families and earning an income and having the dignity of work now no longer have a job because of the policies of this Government.”Investments “drying up”According to Jagdeo, the Government has failed in attracting major new investments in Guyana and even local investments, if any, are limited and flailing in the country.“Outside of the oil and gas sector which started under the [People’s Progressive Party] PPP, the investments have dried up totally, foreign investments, and local investment is almost non-existent now. The only thing that a few people are benefiting from are the high prices for land in prime locations where the oil companies want to locate one or two of their facilities. That is the only thing that is happening, foreign investment as well as local investment have dried up…”The Opposition Leader pointed out that while much focus is being placed on the oil and gas sector in relation to job opportunities for citizens, the employment opportunities will be limited, and cannot substitute for the jobs that were lost due to Government over the past four years.“The prospect of creating new jobs is diminished because oil and gas as I said before will give us 2000 new jobs and we lost 30,000 jobs and we are not going to create many new jobs in the other sectors so it is going to get progressively worse… four years of deterioration… only four years in office is not an excuse. How much longer does it take to recognised that this Government does not have a vision?”He added that the current Administration has an “absence of direction” and that contrary to the declarations of achievements by the APNU/AFC from 2015 to date, the past four years have been nothing short of failures and deterioration of progress in Guyana.
Watch new Foxes star Esteban Cambiasso in action for Inter Milan and Argentina.
1 Andy Carroll scored twice for West Ham West Ham moved up to third in the table with a well-earned 3-1 victory over Swansea City.Andy Carroll was the Hammers’ hero with a headed brace and Diafra Sakho secured the three points late on, while the Swans were reduced to ten-men during the second half after goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski was sent-off.The victory is West Ham’s third in a row and was nothing less than they deserved during an enthralling clash between two of the Premier League’s surprise packages at the Boleyn Ground.Sam Allardyce’s men started brightly and they could have been awarded a penalty early on, but referee Chris Foy waved away muted protestations, as Leon Britton’s clumsy challenge sent Stewart Downing tumbling inside the Swans’ box.The Hammers’ early dominance counted for little though, as Swansea delivered a sucker punch from star striker Wilfried Bony to break the deadlock.It was a relatively simple move from the Welsh side, as Gylfi Sigurdsson’s stunning through-ball down the left provided Jefferson Montero space behind the West Ham back line and his cut-back was perfectly weighted for Bony to slot home.The goal seemed to inject West Ham with even more attacking intent, but despite their frantic efforts, the Hammers were frustrated by Swansea’s resiliency.For all of their attractive football though, it was a routine move that brought about the east Londoners’ equaliser. The impressive Carl Jenkinson delivered a sumptuous cross from the right touchline for Andy Carroll to head back across goal and into the Swansea top corner, to draw West Ham level at half-time.It was very much a case of carrying on where they left off for the Hammers during the second period, but their high line gave Swansea the opportunity to launch more counter attacks and that’s exactly what happened, but this time Bony could only find the top of the crossbar with his effort from range.West Ham continued to control proceedings though and they were deservedly ahead just after the hour mark. It was once again a routine move, this time a corner, with Carroll once again the man benefitting, as Ashley Williams failed to challenge the England man who nodded in for his second goal of the game.Things got worse for the Welsh side just seconds after the restart as Sakho out-muscled Williams to set himself one-on-one with Fabianski.The Polish goalkeeper stormed out of his area and appeared to body-check the Senegalese striker, but after continuing play with the ball still at Sakho’s feet, and the striker promptly hitting the post with his effort, referee Chris Foy returned to Fabianski and brandished him a straight red card for the earlier offence.Swansea – now well and truly rattled – committed players forward in search of an equaliser, but that left them even more exposed at the back and Sakho should have made them pay, but he could only find the outside of the post once again.West Ham’s failure to see out the game looked like it could come back and haunt them, but Sakho ensured that he wouldn’t squander another opportunity and after latching onto Adrian’s long pass, he lashed the ball straight through substitute goalkeeper Guy Tremmel to send the Hammers’ faithful into dreamland and into the top three.
Wayne Rooney //storify.com/talksport/fellaini-as-no-9-that-s-desperate-stuff-fans-react.js?border=false[View the story “‘Fellaini as no.9, that’s desperate stuff’ – Fans react to Manchester United team news as Wayne Rooney misses out” on Storify] Wayne Rooney will not play against Liverpool today for Manchester United as Louis van Gaal opts for Marouane Fellaini as his sole striker.David De Gea is reinstated as the club’s no.1 goalkeeper but there is no place for Morgan Schneiderlin, with Michael Carrick and Bastian Schweinsteiger preferred to the Frenchman.As a result of Rooney’s absence summer signing Anthony Martial is the only recognised striker in the squad and he starts on the bench.Manchester United XI to face Liverpool: De Gea, Darmian, Smalling, Blind, Shaw, Schweinsteiger, Carrick, Mata, Herrera, Depay, Fellaini.Subs: Romero, McNair, Rojo, Schneiderlin, Valencia, Young, Martial.See the best reactions to the Red Devils’ team news below … 1
Tottenham will move into fourth place if they beat Newcastle at White Hart Lane.Man United currently occupy the position, but slipped up against Bournemouth on Saturday night.Spurs come into the game on the back of a 4-1 hammering of Monaco in the Europa League and will be looking to strengthen their claim for a top four finish with victory against the Magpies given Southampton, Norwich and Watford are to come.Here, talkSPORT looks at the possible line up for the Newcastle game with Eric Dier included. The midfielder was substituted against Moncao after appearing to injure himself, but was seen to tell his manager Maurico Pochettino he was fine.More good news for fans is that Nabil Bentaleb and Nacer Chadli played in midweek after recovering from their respective injuries.Agree with the line up? 20. Dele Alli (central midfield) 1. Hugo Lloris (goalkeeper) – click the yellow arrow above, right, to see the predicted Tottenham line up against Newcastle 11 4. Toby Alderweireld (centre back) 11 11 11 2. Kyle Walker (right back) 3. Danny Rose (left back) 7. Heung-min Son (wide forward) 11 10. Harry Kane (striker) 11 15. Eric Dier (central midfield) 11 11. Erik Lamela (wide forward) 11 11 5. Jan Vertonghen (centre back) 11 11
Uche Ikpeazu 1 Watford striker Uche Ikpeazu has joined Blackpool on loan for the rest of the season.The 20-year-old has recently returned from a successful spell at Port Vale, where he hit five goals in 21 League One outings.Now he has agreed a deal to stay with Vale’s League One rivals Blackpool until the summer.Ikpeazu is yet to make an appearance for Watford since arriving from Reading as a teenager in 2013 but he has spent time on loan at Crewe and Doncaster before linking up with Port Vale.